Great Things are Happening at St. PatrickMay 14, 2019
St. Patrick Parish and School have been very busy with a lot of work being completed around the church and school. Recently the following projects were completed: Wi-Fi access points were added in the school gymnasium and in the lower elementary hall for better reception to multiple classrooms. Generous donors provided the funds for […]
St. Patrick Parish and School have been very busy with a lot of work being completed around the church and school. Recently the following projects were completed:
- Wi-Fi access points were added in the school gymnasium and in the lower elementary hall for better reception to multiple classrooms.
- Generous donors provided the funds for a new sound system, which was installed in the school gymnasium.
- A hot water heater was donated and installed in the school cafeteria.
- The PTO donated a new science lab table that was installed in the high school science classroom with the help of a Father Flohe Foundation grant.
- Work has been completed to refurbish the church sanctuary. The original altar has been restored and the tabernacle has been moved from the chapel to where it belongs in the sanctuary.
- Construction has started on the pole barn at Father Flohe Field that was destroyed by the tornado.
While much work has been completed, there is still much more that must be done. Thanks to funding provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), released under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Non-profit Security Grant Program and administered through the Michigan State Police, we are planning the following upgrades:
- New doors installed at the main entrance of the school and the gymnasium.
- Bollards placed in strategic locations to secure the building from vehicle traffic.
- The keyless entry system currently in use will be expanded to include all entrances.
- A new video access entry system for visitor entry and latchkey access.
- A security video monitoring system for the exterior and possibly critical interior areas.
Work is anticipated to start later this summer, wrapping up into the fall and is based on finishing up approvals with FEMA and the MSP.
There is also a lot of the other projects that will be coming up. We are looking for generous support to fund these projects. These include:
- Installing a new roof on the school building. We are looking at installing a roof with a 30-year life for an approximate cost of $250,000. To date, with donations from the Shamrock Auction and from other generous donors, we have received approximately $130,000.
- We are looking at remodeling the four restrooms in the original part of the school as well as the restrooms used by those attending games at our school gymnasium. This would also include completely gutting the previously aforementioned restrooms and starting from scratch as well as the addition of two staff restrooms. The estimated cost to complete this project is $500,000. We have been blessed to have donations coming in for this project as well.
- We are also in the early planning stages of remodeling all our school classrooms.
We are very excited with all the great things that are currently happening at St. Patrick Parish and School right now. We are also thankful and appreciative for those who have been generous with their time, talents and financial support. While we are thrilled with all that has been accomplished, we are ready to roll up our sleeves and get to work on all that yet needs to be completed. If you would like to join us, please feel free to share your expertise on any of the aforementioned projects with our plants and grounds committee or to be generous with any financial support, which can be earmarked for any projects you feel would be the best investment of your money. Finally, we welcome any prayers for both our parish and school. We must be good stewards of the resources we have to ensure our church and school are not only available for our current generations but be available for many generations yet to come.