St. Patrick Preschool
St. Patrick Preschool is located in the lower level of the main school building, adjacent to the cafeteria. We offer two-, three-, and five-day sessions.
Mr. Aaron Thelen is the lead teacher for St. Patrick Preschool. Aaron has worked with daycare/preschool children for many years, did a one-year stint in our school office, and returned to the preschool in the fall of 2015. He also assists with the DK class when they start the school year, due to the preschool starting after Labor Day.
Children must be three by September 1 and must be toilet trained.
Families will need to fill out the following forms:
- Student Enrollment Form
- Child InformationForm
- Health Appraisal Form
- Tuition Contract
- Class Preference Form
- Families will also need to provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate
Please contact the Preschool at 517-647-7551 for enrollment forms.
- Students for the three-year-old class should be three by the first day of class and toilet trained.
- Classes for four-year children are intended for children who would be attending kindergarten or DK the following year.
Cognitive skills, social interaction, language development, art projects, field trips, music/finger plays, and holiday activities are part of the established guidelines which are keys to positive child development.
We incorporate a Smartboard in many areas of learning. We also have scheduled gym time for the children. Mr. Aaron and his guitar are a big part of our preschool music program.
Monthly Christian themes are incorporated into the curriculum as well to provide an important spiritual dimension. Basic concepts covered include colors, shapes, name recognitions, left/right, over/under, counting/numbers.
Fine motor skills are emphasized and include tracing/writing, painting, pasting, cutting and coloring.
- Three-year olds spend their outdoor time in the grassy area across West Street.
- Four-year olds are taken to Alton Park across Grand River Avenue. In preparation for next year, we use this as a learning opportunity, teaching them the safe and proper way to cross the street.
Monday-Friday (Five days)
Our School Year
Classes begin the week following Labor Day and end the week preceding Memorial Day. School vacation days follow St. Patrick School calendar. Bad weather days follow Portland Public/St. Patrick School closings.
History and Mission
In June of 2006, St. Patrick Preschool was established. Our program offers a balanced approach of self-directed and teacher-directed activities. Our mission is to assist the children to grow developmentally in preparations for their Kindergarten experience in a welcoming, Christian environment. St. Patrick Preschool is a great place to play and learn!