Address: 122 West Street, Portland, MI 48875
Telephone: (517) 647-7551
Fax: (517) 647-4545
The main office is located in the corner of the school behind the gymnasium. Park on Church Street or in the parking lot adjacent to the school on Church Street.
- For general school-related questions, you may send an e-mail. We will do our best to answer your e-mails within 24 hours.
- For questions or comments for a specific teacher or staff member, go to the Staff Directory. It has names, telephone extensions and e-mail addresses for the staff at St. Patrick School.
- For questions or comments related to the website, or to submit information for the announcements, contact the webmaster.
Grades K-5: 8:40 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.
- Elementary students are tardy if not in the classroom and ready to start the day by 8:40 a.m.
- Elementary students arriving more than 30 minutes late in the morning or leaving more than 30 minutes early in the afternoon will be marked absent for a half day; if missing 29 minutes or less, they will be marked tardy.
Grades 6-12: 7:30 a.m. – 2:20 p.m. (warning bell rings at 7:25 a.m.; classes begin at 7:30 a.m.)
- Middle school and high school students missing 15 minutes or more in a class period will be marked absent for that period; if missing 14 minutes or less, they will be marked tardy.
The school office is open from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, during the regular school year. (Please refer to the school calendar to determine these dates.) The office is not open on holidays or during vacations. Summer hours will be posted at the entrance to the main office and on the homepage of the school website. Visitors are asked to call before coming to the school during summer hours.
School Closing Announcements
If Portland Public Schools close because of weather, St. Patrick School will also be closed.
In the event of unscheduled school closings, announcements can be seen/heard on the following TV/radio stations:
- WZZM (Channel 13)
- WFMK (99.1 FM)
- WJIM (97.5 FM)
- WILX (Channel 10)
- WHZZ (101.7 FM)
- WLNS (Channel 6)
- WITL (100.7 FM)
- Fox 47 (Channel 47)
- Wood TV 8
- Fox 17
- WION (1430 AM)
- Also on Facebook
Parish policy states that if school is closed due to weather, the entire St. Patrick campus is closed and Masses are cancelled.
Directions to St. Patrick School/Athletic Events
Directions to the school:
From the east: Take I-96 to Portland. Take exit 77, turn right onto Grand River Avenue and follow it 1.5 miles to Church Street. Turn right onto Church Street, and then left into the school parking lot. The main entrance to the school is on the right.
From the west: Take I-96 to Portland. Take exit 73, turn left onto Portland Road and then right onto Grand River Avenue. Follow Grand River 2.5 miles to Church Street. Turn left onto Church Street, and then left into the school parking lot. The main entrance to the school is on the right.
If you need more specific directions to St. Patrick School, use Google Maps. Our street address is 122 West Street, Portland, MI 48875.
Directions to athletic events:
- Varsity Football games are played at Portland High School, 1100 Ionia Road
- Varsity/JV Girls/Boys Basketball games are played at Portland Middle School, 745 Storz Street
- JV Football, Softball and Baseball games are played at Father Flohe Field, 765 Union Street, kitty corner from the school
- Golf matches are held at Portland Country Club, Divine Highway
- Track/CrossCountry meets are held at Portland High School, 1100 Ionia Road
- Unless noted on the schedule, all other games are played in our own facilities, 122 West Street. The gym entrance is located on Church Street, directly across the street from St. Patrick Parish Office.
Morning Drop-Off Procedure, Grades K-5
- Elementary students (grades K-5) dropped off before 8:20 a.m. must be signed in at before-school supervision in Room 209. Elementary students dropped off after 8:20 a.m. will stay in the parking lot until 8:35 a.m. when they line up by grade outside the main entrance and teachers lead them to their classrooms. If it is raining or the wind chill is below 0 degrees F, the students come into the building for indoor recess until class begins.
- Parents may drop their children off by the ramp on Church Street or in the parking lot if barricades are not up. Please do not drop your children off on West Street, which is the bus drop-off point.
- Bused students are dropped off on West Street and enter in the center set of doors.
- Students are not permitted to be in the halls before or after school. Any students dropped off before 8:20 a.m. must report to Before School Supervision, and parents will be charged accordingly for the service.
Dismissal Procedure, Grades K-5
- Non-bus riding students can be picked up in their assigned location at 3:45 p.m.
- If you will be making alternate arrangements for student pick-up, please send a note to your child’s teacher. For last minute arrangements call the school office at 647-7551 BEFORE 3:15 p.m.
- Students who are not picked up by 3:55 p.m. will be taken by their teacher to After School Supervision in Room 209. Parents will be charged accordingly for the service.
- Bus riding students are dismissed from the West Street doors at 3:45 p.m.
Before and After School Supervision Program
- Before/After School Supervision is available in Room 209. Parents can enter the building at Entrance #6 on West Street (closest to Grand River Avenue).
- Before School Supervision is available from 6:30 to 8:20 a.m. for grades K-5; the cost is $5 per day per student. For students dropped off after 7:30 a.m., the cost is $4 per day.
- After School Supervision is available from 3:50 to 6:00 p.m. The cost is $5 per day per student. For students picked up by 4:45 p.m., the cost is $4 per day.
- Bused students are dropped off at St. Patrick in the morning by Portland Public Schools buses. In the afternoon, they are taken by a PPS shuttle bus to Westwood Elementary School where they transfer to the PPS bus that takes them to their final destination. If you have any questions or changes regarding bus transportation, please contact the PPS bus garage at 517-647-2993.
- If your student will need a bus pass to ride home with someone else, please call the bus garage to make prior arrangements.
- High school students who will be riding the bus should contact the bus garage at 517-647-2993 to notify them and make arrangements.
- Students who will be driving to school should have a Parking Registration Form on file in the school office.
Student Late Arrival and Early Departure
- Parking for drop-off and pick-up: For the safety of the children, the school/church parking lot will be closed for long-term parking during the school day. If the barricades are not blocking the ramp, you may pull into the parking lot for drop-off and pick-up. If the barricades are blocking the ramp, curbside parking is available outside the school and there is a small parking lot next to the parish office.
- For students who are tardy or require early dismissal: A parent or designee must pick up and return the student through the main office. Parent or designee must accompany students in grades K-8 to/from the office and sign them in and out.
- Parents should notify the school of a child’s absence by calling the school office at 517-647-7551 by 8:30 a.m. for grades K-5 and by 7:15 a.m. for grades 6-12.
- If a student will be absent due to illness, you may request to pick up class assignments at the same time the absence is reported to the school office. Requested work will be available by the end of the day.
- Students should not attend school who are vomiting, have diarrhea or have a temperature of 100 or above when taken by mouth. They should be fever-free (without the use of fever-reducing medicine) for 24 hours before returning to school.
- If you are aware of an absence lasting more than one day prior to the absence itself, please notify your child’s teacher and the office.
- Students who leave early or are out due to illness may not attend evening events hosted by St. Patrick School.
- Students in grades 5-12 involved in extracurricular activities must be at school for the full day to participate in evening extracurricular activities. Exceptions include absences due to medical appointments and funerals.
ABSENCE REPORTING PROCEDURE
- When your child will be absent from class, please call the school office no later than 7:15 a.m. for students in grades 6-12 and 8:30 a.m. for elementary students. When calling with dismissal messages, please call no later than 3:00 p.m.
- Students who must leave school early must obtain a pass from the office prior to the start of school. Parents must provide written request, stating the reason for early dismissal before the office staff will issue a pass.
- Students who leave for an appointment and return before the end of the regular school day must report to the office upon return. Information regarding early departure and time of return will appear on the daily attendance log provided to teachers.
- When entering or leaving the building at other than regular times, students must sign in and out in the office.
- We do encourage parents/guardians to arrange their vacations so that they do not interfere with the regular school calendar.
- Absences will be considered unexcused if the guidelines are not followed, in which case the student will receive a zero for all work missed. Absences must be verified by 9:00 a.m. the next day or the absence may remain unexcused.
The school works with the families to assist them in maintaining the health of their children who attend St. Patrick School. The school office personnel can administer prescription medication to students under the following conditions:
- Prescribed medication cannot be adjusted so that it can be administered at home.
- The parent and physician must complete the Prescription Medication Authorization Form available in the school office.
- The parent/guardian has brought properly labeled prescribed medication directly to the school office.
- Designated school personnel administer the prescribed medication in the school office.
- Written record is kept of all medication administered.
PLEASE NOTE: School personnel may not administer over-the-counter medications, and students are not allowed to possess it during school hours.
- The daily hot lunch program is provided to St. Patrick School by Chartwells through Portland Food Service. The cost for elementary students is $2.60 per day. The cost for middle and high school student price is $2.85 per day. Cold lunch students may purchase milk for $ .60.
- Make checks payable to Portland Food Service. Please do not combine a check to PFS with any money to be paid to St. Patrick School (field trip, tuition, etc.).
- High School: 11:07 – 11:34
- Middle School: 11:09 – 11:36
- Elementary: 11:50 – 12:35
- Students are outside unless the weather prohibits (if it is raining or the wind chill is below 0 degrees F), in which case grades K-5 remain indoors for recess. The students have recess at Alton Park or on the black top when the park is muddy or, if there is a slight rain or extreme wind. K-5 students have recess immediately following lunch and either 10:00-10:15 a.m. or 2:30-2:45 p.m. depending on classroom schedules.
Accessibility to the Building/Staff
- Parents can call the school office or e-mail classroom teachers directly to schedule appointments.
- Parents can enter the school building after all the students have been dismissed.
- All parents/visitors entering the building during school hours must sign in and out in the office and obtain a visitors pass.
- You are encouraged to use the school website for up-to-date information.
Diocesan guidelines state that a mandatory criminal background check be done every three years on anyone wishing to work with students (as an employee, volunteer, chaperone, etc). Also, anyone working with students must attend a “Protecting God’s Children Awareness Session” (also know as VIRTUS). Registration for this training must be done online at http://www.virtus.org. Click on the registration link and choose the session you want. You may attend any session, regardless of the diocese in which it is done. Volunteers can take an online Virtus class, follow the directions above. All employees must attend a session in person. If you have any questions, please call the school office at 517-647-7551.
Please inquire in the office regarding the various payment plan options available for you to pay your tuition. Scrip can be purchased to help reduce tuition.
- Fabricated Customs, 212 Kent Street, Portland, MI 48875 has setup an online store to order your spirit wear. The store will stay online year round and orders can be picked up at the store or be shipped directly to your home for a nominal shipping fee. Click on this link to place an order. A limited inventory of St. Patrick School items are also available at the store.
- St. Patrick spirit wear is also available for purchase at Hometown Sports at 200 W. Bridge Street, Portland, MI. Phone 517-647-7332.
Sport passes are available at all volleyball and football first home games. Sport passes permit individuals or families to attend all home games at no additional charge for one school year. A family pass can be purchased for $200. Individual passes are $75. All grandparents of Shamrock athletes in grades 5-12 and parishioners over the age of 62 may receive a sport pass free of charge.
Insurance Coverage Available
St. Patrick School carries a supplemental insurance policy that covers accidental bodily injury occurring during school, school-sponsored events, and extracurricular activities including traveling to/from these events. This insurance covers expenses over and above what your family’s health insurance pays (co-pays, ER visits, ambulance, dental, etc.) Claim forms are available in the school office and must be filled out within 90 days of an incident.
PTO/Athletic Association/School Board
- PTO: If you are interested in getting involved in the PTO, please contact Jennifer Lafferty at firstname.lastname@example.org
- ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION: If you are interested in getting involved in the Athletic Association, contact AA President Mike Coyne at 517-331-0715
- SCHOOL BOARD: St. Patrick School Board meets on Tuesdays every other month (depending on school vacations and holidays). See the School Board web page for the meeting schedule and information on how to address the board, etc.